Pursue the Compensation You Deserve Contact Our Team

How to Deal with Insurance Companies After a Car Accident

The Law Office of George O. Haskell April 6, 2018

Following a motor vehicle accident, your primary concern is to get medical attention, even in a seemingly minor fender bender. The subsequent worry is how you are going to pay the medical bills and repair or replacement of your car.

This is the point where auto insurance is supposed to come in, yet you will likely experience problems. Insurers may refuse to pay, employ tactics to delay payment or offer too low a settlement amount. You can take steps to prevent or address these situations so you can receive the compensation you need.

How to prevent problems with your insurance provider

What you do following an accident significantly affects the outcome. File a police report after the accident to have an official record and take photos to serve as evidence. When talking to the police and the other driver, never admit any fault, even if it was clear you contributed to the collision. Just state the facts without any additional commentary, including apologies. Now is not the time to be chivalrous, as Georgia accounts for percentage of fault in determining damages. Do not make a statement to any insurance company or sign anything.

Once you leave the scene of the incident, get a medical examination to evaluate your injuries. Even if you feel fine, you should still go because symptoms can always appear later, and the longer you wait, the harder it will be to connect your health issues to the accident. Follow the treatment plan of your health care provider, attend all appointments and keep records of expenses.

How to respond to problems with your insurance provider

What if you forget to do one or more of these steps? Or what if you do them but the insurer still gives you trouble? All is not lost. First, hire a personal injury attorney with experience in negotiating with insurance companies. Usually, this is all you need to do to help your case. In some instances, you may need to take a lawsuit to court to receive full compensation.